In June 1852, the First Baptist Church of Clinton was incorporated. By the end of its first year, the church reported 56 members, 28 whites and 28 blacks. For the first eight years, the congregation worshipped in a building located on what is now part of the Mississippi College Campus and later moved to a chapel built by the college in 1860.
Led by Mississippi College Professor Rev. T.A. Parrish and its President Walter Hillman, in 1867 a Sunday School was formed for the black members who wanted their own place of worship in the chapel basement. This led to the establishment of Pleasant Green Baptist Church in 1870. Under the leadership of the late Rev. Dunbar, a small group moved to a site below the chapel known today as Robinson’s Field.
The church continued to grow under Rev. Dunbar followed by Reverends Latham, Wallace, and Davis. In its line of pastors, one was a great builder, Rev. C.P. Johnston. Under his leadership, Pleasant Green Church was relocated, and a new building was erected at the 505 East College Street location where Rev. Johnston continued his work with the church until he resigned due to poor health in 1932.
Rev. Amos Martin Peterson was later elected pastor and under his leadership the church continued to progress. On January 12, 1975, Rev. Peterson resigned due to poor health. He was followed by Re. James D Broome who continued to add to the church. He constructed the A.M. Peterson Fellowship Hall. Rev. Broome served as Pastor for 12 years.
In 1989, Rev. Frederick Williams became pastor. Rev. Frederick served as pastor for 8 years and resigned December of 1997. During his administration they formed the children’s choir and the gospel choir.
Our current pastor, Rev. Darrel McQuirter, was elected in April 1998. Since elected, he has expanded Wednesday Bible Study to include children, teens and adults. He added a second service (morning service), praise dance, drama teams, children’s church, couple’s ministry and many other outreach ministries. The church is currently working on building a new church and fellowship hall.
Pleasant Green Missionary Baptist Church is over 140 years old and we thank God for the shepherds that he has given us through the years. Pleasant Green has a proud history and a bright future.